Wednesday, February 4, 2015

2-Week Post-Surgery Check-Up

I was expecting much more at my 2 week post-surgery appointment...labs, urine test, pressing on my belly, meeting with a few from my team, such as my surgeon, physician, and donor coordinator...but it was much simpler than that. There were zero tests, and I saw only one person...my recipient's surgeon.

He came in and said, "You look well. Let's take a look at the incisions....they are doing great. Be sure not to pick at the scabs. They will fall off by themselves. When people start feeling better, they tend to do more than our instruction. You need to be sure not to pick anything up weighing 10 pounds or more. A hernia is the most common complication, often from picking up children, and you don't want a hernia. Are there any questions."

Since everyone was telling me prior to surgery that the recipient recovers faster than the donor, I was expecting it to last the whole recovery.  I suppose, now that I think about it, in the hospital my recipient felt great and enjoying complete meals, while I kept myself to saltine crackers, gelatin, and soup. That would be the only way I could think that fit this expectation.

I asked why I feel great and walk standing up, while my recipient looked sleepy and walked hunched over. (I saw her just the day previous.). He said the sleepiness is probably a side effect of the anti-rejection medicine she is taking, but the sleepiness will wear off as she gets used to them. I learned later that her staples (which were removed at the same time as my doctor visit) pulled as she stood up which made her hunch, but with the staples gone she could stand up straight.

I told the surgeon that I was expecting so much more pain than I experienced, and asked if I am a lucky exception or if what I have experienced (very little pain, or discomfort, really) is normal. He said that I was very normal. That is VERY good news!

I then asked about my liquid-laden belly.  He said that was normal and part of the healing process. I should expect it to continue for another month. He said the liquid gathers to a place of least resistance. No surprise to me that this part of my body, having carried seven babies, followed by no exercise greater than walking, would be the place of least resistance. I don't know if it is least resistant to everyone. I didn't think to ask.

Except for the initial nurse taking my temperature, blood pressure, and oxygen with the finger clip, that's it.  10 minutes, no poking or prodding, nobody else.  Easy-peasey.

I have been faithfully taking 1/2 hydrocodone and 1 Tylenol every 4 hours since trying to wean myself last week.  I forgot to bring my meds on my trip to my appointment. When I got home 7 hours later, I realized I wasn't hurting, so thought maybe I don't need them any more. At midnight as I was about to go to sleep I did feel a little burning. Not enough burning to warrant meds normally, but I didn't want to test it when I ought to be sleeping. I won't be taking any more hydrocodone, I don't think. I will see if Tylenol will do the job, but will only take it when and if I feel actual need.

The only things I need to do the rest of my life are drink at least 8 cups of water each day, exercise, stay away from ibuprofen and high sodium and medicinal herbs, eat healthy and balanced meals including protein (it doesn't specify any particular protein source), and take my blood pressure each month.


No comments:

Post a Comment