Thursday, January 8, 2015

FAQ and Not So FAQ

Q: Did you know that it hurts the donor much more than the recipient, because everything gets bruised in the donor, something is removed, and they go from feeling healthy their whole life to not functioning optimally, which they aren't used to, while the recipient feels healthy and energy almost immediately after a life of weakness?
A: Yes. I first heard it from speaker John Bytheway on his tape 16 years ago. I appreciate his humor, but I hope to have a more peaceful recovery with very little laughing.

Q: Did she try her family members first?
A: Yes, but her sister wasn't compatible.

Q: With all that you know about health, why not try something less extreme than surgery and teach her how to gain health through herbs and diet?
A: While what mainstream calls "alternative" health, I call conservative and God's first choice, I also believe that the medical field is full of miracles and inspiration from God. God was very specific in his instruction to me. "Donate to her," and I do not believe it is my place to change his instruction to teaching anybody He did not instruct me to.

Q: Are you confident she will respect your kidney?
A: Firstly, once I give it to her, it is not my kidney, but hers. A true gift should not have strings attached.
Secondly, God instructed me to give this to her. I trust Him, I don't question Him or put my own limits on.
Thirdly, if it truly makes you feel better, I have every confidence in her respecting her new kidney in an effort to get as much milage as possible from it. My tiny friend doesn't put harmful substances into her body, she tends toward more natural and healthy foods and cleaners. I have full faith in her.

Q: What if one of your children or husband needs kidney in the future?
A: The likelihood of that happening is slim to none. There is no known history in my family nor my husband's family of even passing a kidney stone.
The most violent activity our family has participted in thus far is Ballroom dance, closely followed by marching band. The only possibility is a high adventure boy scout activity, which so far has consisted of canoeing, or downhill skiing, which each person has had no more than 2 opportunities so far.
However, should a need arise, I think I will have set a good example for my children and family members to follow, providing this does continue to be a positive experience. There are 7 children of mine, 6 blood aunts and uncles of theirs, and 17 cousins. If none of them desire to donate, my child will go on the waiting list just like everyone else does.

Q: What keeps you excited about this?
A: Anticipating seeing color in her face, giving her a chance to dance again, and the possibility that my tiny friend will have time to have children to be a great mom to.

Q: What if her body never accepts your kidney or she dies during surgery?
A: I will feel sad for her, but feel good knowing that I did what I could to help. In death, I will mourn the loss of my friend, but it wouldn't be my fault, nor my gift that caused it. I am confident she won't die, but no matter what happens I will feel comfort in knowing God has a plan and he trusted me to be part of it, so whatever happens has reason maybe only God will understand.

Q: What did you find out about your own health through all of these tests?
A: While I was doing the tests, I worried a bit about what if we found something that would keep me from getting insurance, while at the same time knowing that if something is found that it would be a blessing to find out in its earliest stages. Now I know for sure that I don't have diabetes, heart problems (both run in my family), cancers or venereal diseases (both of which would have caused me to fall off my seat with surprise), and I don't have a horseshoe shaped kidney like my mom does. There is a lot of comfort knowing for sure that I have been proven healthy. I did laugh out loud when I found out that I have borderline high cholesterol. All that means is I now have a doctor's recommendation, a good excuse, and a higher resolve to eat the way I have wanted to for years, but now I will be considered wise rather than borderline extreme.

Q: Aren't you scared of all that pain and elective major surgery?
A: Not really. Don't get me wrong, I am a baby when it comes to pain. However, I have kind of a masochistic anticipation for this. I have never had surgery, other than removal of my wisdom teeth. I will have scars with a great story, except that the clothes I wear will always cover them, even my bathing suit. My sisters warned me from experience that scars on the trunk don't ever completely feel normal, but always are a bit uncomfortable. Well, I have been warned, and I know God has chosen this path for me, and I hope I can always be grateful to him for this honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment