Tuesday, September 30, 2014

4-Week Mark Report

My surgeon put a lot of thought and care into where to make incisions, I just know it, and I appreciate it.

Toward the beginning of this past week, physically and emotionally I was irritated (not cranky on the outside, just on the inside) for 3 reasons.

1) My scabs were becoming thicker and stiffer in an attempt to come off. My center incision scab was particularly irritating. It was thick and roundish, like a button, and the skin around it felt like the skin surrounding a zit. Irritating. I was relieved when it finally fell off. This week almost all of my scabs fell off. I only have a small section of scab left on my largest incision below my belly.

2) I feel normal. My belly looks the same as pre-operation. The only difference is not visible, which is that my sagging belly pocket is not just skin, but still has some edema. Also, the skin surrounding my largest incision under my belly is still numb-like. This is all good, but I had been counting down to when I could return to my kids at school. I had, in my mind, only 2 weeks at home left. I found out that I was wrong. I still had 3 weeks left! Now, the surgeon said that anytime I feel ready for work, he will support me. However, my coordinator suggested 4 weeks if I have a posh, desk only, do nothing job, and my nurse suggested I stay away from crowds because of germs. It is all up to me. My heart wats to be at school, but it is most important for me to play it safe. Therefore, I was irritated because of my inner struggle.

3) I felt it was important to attend parent-teacher conference. It takes 15 minutes to walk to school when a crossing guard is on duty, but without her I wasn't sure how long it would be to find a good space between cars going both directions, so I planned to leave my house 5 minutes earlier. Then my mind got involved in something or other, and when I looked up at the time, I had 15 minutes until my appointment. So, I walked quickly. Although I was not in any real danger from it, I was slightly dizzy for the next hour and a half, and my back hurt the rest of the day. I realized I had lost strength from always reclining, so all week I have been concentrating on sitting up on the couch, rather than so much reclining.

Please note, I was not actually cranky on the outside, nor depressed. I think this is important so that you know how I was feeling, but it wasn't so bad as to involve others. Overall, I An happy and looking forward.

Back to my skilled and thoughtful surgeon (and what I am finding as my scabs come off). The top most scar is so small (1/4 inch?), I wonder if it will even be seen in a year. The scar on the top edge of my belly button is already almost invisible, because it looks like the upper edge of my navel. The largest incision below my belly is so thin (like a cat scratch) and placed so well (just above my natural fold) I am pretty sure nobody will ever see it, even if someday I decide to get all toned and tan and in a bikini (which I highly doubt).

The only one left is that irritating one with the
button scab. It is the most likely to be seen, but the scar won't call attention to itself even to the point that someone notices. However, it looks to me that I may have a simple when my stomach muscles flex inward. That is it. My children lovingly has nicknamed it my second belly button. (I think they are jealous.)

Although I had wanted to take this journey in secret, I am so grateful for everybody who has helped with prayers, meals, thoughts, flowers, notes, jammies, and friendship in so many other ways. I was surprised that people who were family of friends of my friend's mother, who didn't know either of us, wanted to be part of our healing as well. I had not realized that this experience would touch so many lives from all over.

This was a very positive experience. There is so much fear surrounding such a donation that I hope I can help alleviate. I believe that if more people knew that it really is a rewarding experience for the donor as well as the recipient, and that if they knew how careful the doctors are to be sure there is no lasting problems associated, but if there were their life and finances would be secure, I think more people would want to do this. After the first two days, I felt like I was living the affirmation, "Every day in every way I am getting (and feeling) better and better!"

From here on out, I will only write another post something important comes up, for instance the day I realize I don't feel anything but normal, which I expect in about 2 more weeks, and when I realize I feel healthier than ever, which I expect in about 5 more months, and maybe a picture or two and my follow-up appointment in a year.

Donor? Absolutely! And Advocate!

No comments:

Post a Comment